28 June 2007

more quilt stuff!

So I was in Sun Valley with my parents last weekend, watching HGTV and kind of wishing I was at home working on projects instead. My cousin Emily is getting married in a few weeks and I need to make her a quilt. I was talking with my mom about it and we decided on a beachy sort of blue white and yellow palette. We looked at fabrics online since there was only one quilt shop in the area and it was rather lacking - but didn't find much that we liked.

Back in Seattle, I went to Pacific Fabrics yesterday and couldn't find anything that grabbed me there either, so I headed to the solids section (like you do) and found my favorite sky blue and several pale yellows. I thought a Denyse Schmidt style bars pattern would work nicely, but the blue and yellow only was pretty bland and boring. But, AHA, I found a few jewel tones to mix in for unexpected surprises! It took me all of 20 minutes to cut out the entire thing, and here's how far I got sewing in two hours last night:





That's a navy, a chocolate brown, a pinkish (but still masculine) red, and a grass green. The colors came out a little strange but trust me, it's pretty great. Reminds me of beach balls and those changing tents and sunshine and summer skies all at once. I know it's not what my mom expects but hey, it's awesome. And definitely different from what I started out doing, which I kind of love. The strips are all the same length but I cut them at random angles and widths so it's kind of hard to make sure they end up in a relatively straight line. But I love a challenge! I'll keep you posted on this one.

Love, mcnabbs.

No comments: